Saturday, March 15, 2014

Questions

I remember reading George Eliot's Adam Bede.  It was the first time I noticed the power a novel can have to inspire questions.  I found myself asking, "Do I have the courage it takes to love a flawed person?"  It hurt.  A few years later, I resented Margaret Atwood for Oryx and Crake.  There are some questions it's easier to avoid.  I read Arthur Miller's The Crucible this week.  Here's what I've got so far.
Are there principles for which it is worth dying?
Can I do a good thing for bad reasons?
Which do I value more, goodness, or the appearance of it?
When I am disappointed in myself, how do I forgive?
How does one find the courage to say only, 'more weight?'
Do I abuse my power?
Am I honest about my motives?
How do I choose between conflicting demands on my integrity?




PS. I made up with Margaret Atwood.  She didn't notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment