Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Go Ahead and Speak

Lauren Bacall has this great line in The Mirror Has Two Faces.  She doesn't like what her daughter, played by Barbra Streisand, has to say.  So, she whips off, "I should have never encouraged you to speak."  I love this moment.  I can identify with Bacall's character.  My children often say things that frustrate me.

"I'm thirsty.  I'm thirsty.  I'm thirsty.  I'm thirsty.  I'm thirsty.  I'm parched."
"You're a bumhead."
"Nnnnnno!"
"Shut your face!"
"Sometimes, Mama and Dada shower together."

At church, Jared and I have been invited to participate in a class whose focus is on developing family relationships.  I enjoy the other class members, the content of the lessons, and the instructors.  Our discussion about the responsibilities of parents has got me thinking.  I do a tonne for these kids and I've realised that sometimes I feel a little entitled.  As if since I feed, clothe, teach and nurture them they owe it to me to make the decisions I want them to make.  This surprises me about myself.  Because while creating robots who do exactly what I want them to do has its appeal, growing autonomous, unique, never-before-seen humans is thrilling.

I've decided I'm going to keep encouraging them to speak, mostly.

2 comments: