Saturday, July 19, 2014

I Swear...For Now

I read three more plays this week and Shakespeare has me thinking about constancy.  These stories are full of likable resolve breakers.  The King of Navarre, Longaville, Biron, and Dumain, Titania, Demetrius, and Lysander, Antonio, Bassiano and Gratiano all go back on their word.  And yet, I root for them.  Why is that?  Is there a time when it's okay to break a promise?  If so, what's a promise worth?  And when did the word constancy take on that old-fashioned flavour?

1 comment:

  1. I first read Merchant of Venice over 45 years ago and it has been my favourite ever since - not to say I have read everything Shakespeare wrote; I am still working on that. I just reread Portia's quality of mercy speech this past week. The theme of justice vs mercy has been on my mind.

    ReplyDelete