Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A Post in Which Celebration and I Work Out Our Feelings

Yesterday was our fourteenth wedding anniversary.  We went for sushi and after the kids were down, we read a parenting book and ate some lemon ice cream (I ate lemon ice cream).  If you'd told me fourteen years ago how we'd mark the day, I think I'd have been disappointed.  Celebration is one of those loaded words that pull at me.  I want to set special moments apart and fill them with connection and memory but so often weigh them down with expectation and pressure.  I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself because yesterday, I just let it all go.  I took his hand as we walked into the restaurant.  We figured out the menu together (sushi novices).  I laughed when the server brought him some beginner chopsticks.  He gamely finished my cucumber roll.  On the way home we stopped for groceries (lemon ice cream).  Later, he rubbed my feet as I read aloud.  That was it.  It was a light happy day spent loving each other.  Today will be another one like it...

So.

Probably not finished with the whole expectation and pressure thing.

2 comments: